One Saturday evening in 1956 Charlie Cooper took his two boys (Denny & Bobby) to a local Bowling Center. Once again they were put on a waiting list for an open lane. Charlie said that day, "this is the business to be in". He was working for the Anderson Fire Department and moon lighted as an electrician when he took the chance of a lifetime and began what is today known as Cooper's Sport Bowl, Inc.
The first Bowling Center was built in 1959 by Charles Cooper on the south side of 53rd street. The Bowling Center opened with 16 Brunswick Lanes and a Snack Bar. In 1961 renovations took place with an addition of another 16 lanes, a Pro Shop, a Billiard Room, and Game Room. In 1978 the Bowling Center closed and a new building was built across the street, on the north side of 53rd street, to once again expand the business.
Cooper's Sport Bowl with a total of 44 lanes is the largest Bowling Center in Madison County. The new facility also housed a Pro Shop, Large Snack Bar, Arcades, Billiard Room, and a Lounge known as the Grapevine. In 1992, the Bowlers Industry Magazine awarded Cooper's Sport Bowl an award for the best renovated Center within the United States for renovations made that year. The renovation added automatic scoring, a banquet room, and Shout's Sport Pub & Eatery. Shout's is the "Home of the Best Tenderloin in Town" with great live Entertainment. Cooper’s has continued to modernize it’s facility to provide for the best family entertainment value in Anderson.
Cooper's Sport Bowl has been family owned since the beginning with the 3rd generation now overseeing the operation. With the continued support of our Valued Customers, we will continue to be a leader in the Bowling Industry.